Want to bake artisan bread in a dutch oven? Here’s an easy Dutch oven bread with a crispy crust and tender inside: perfect for sandwiches.
Are you looking for an artisan bread recipe that’s easy to make and has that perfect crusty bread texture? Meet our Dutch oven bread recipe! It’s got a beautiful crust and artisan bread appearance, but it takes only about 30 minutes of active time. It’s baked in a Dutch oven to get that crispy crunchy exterior. And the flavor? It’s got a very light tang from some Greek yogurt, and it’s the perfect texture for making sandwiches. I like to call it “cheater’s sourdough” because it’s way less work than sourdough and just as delicious. Because Alex and I are so enthusiastic about the merits of home bread baking, we’ve made a video tutorial too. Bring on the bread!
Related: 12 Easy Dutch Oven Recipes
Video tutorial: Dutch oven bread
This Dutch oven bread is very easy to make: the only tricky part is shaping the dough into a beautiful loaf shape. Because it’s difficult to describe in words, we’ve created a video tutorial to walk you through it! Here I am in our kitchen showing you how to make Dutch oven bread.
How to make artisan Dutch oven bread
Now, Alex is the bread baking master in our household, and he’s created this simple method for people (like me!) who might not be up for the labor of sourdough. As I mentioned, I like to call it “cheater’s sourdough” because it’s way less work than sourdough and just as delicious. It takes very little hands on time: most of the time in the recipe is waiting for the bread to proof and bake. For this recipe, you’ll need a stand mixer and a Dutch oven. Here are the basic steps for baking bread in a Dutch oven.
- Mix the dough (10 minutes). Our recipe uses three types of flours to get that perfect artisan bread flavor and texture, and it’s a Greek yogurt bread recipe to bring a slight tang. You’ll use a stand mixer to knead the dough since it’s too sticky to knead by hand.
- Proof the dough (about 1.5 hours). Allow the dough to double in size in a warm place. We typically use our oven proof setting, and cover our bread in reusable plastic bag.
- Shape the dough (5 minutes). Shape the dough into a loaf shape. It’s easiest to watch the video above for this part!
- Proof the dough again (30 minutes). Allow the dough to rest again, this time at room temperature. Start preheating the oven with the Dutch oven inside.
- Bake the dough (40 minutes). Place your Dutch oven bread directly into the Dutch oven, and bake for 17 minutes. Then remove it, reduce the oven temp, and bake for another 23 minutes.
That’s it! You’ll find this bread tastes AMAZING, and has the perfect crispy crust and soft interior. It’s definitely a favorite in our family. And we love that the texture is just perfect for sandwiches. Are you ready for baking bread in a Dutch oven? Head to our recipe below.
Our recommended Dutch oven
If you’re interested in trying artisan Dutch oven bread, we assume you already have a Dutch oven! But if you’re looking for a Dutch oven or an upgrade, here are the Dutch ovens that we use and recommend:
Dutch oven bread: required tools
Making Dutch oven bread requires just a few more tools outside of a Dutch oven! We’ve linked to the exact tools that we used in the video, but you can use whatever suits you!
Required tools for this Dutch oven bread recipe
- Large dutch oven for baking the bread
- Stand mixer for kneading (or this less expensive version)
- Plastic bag for proofing (reuse it every time you make bread)
- Kitchen scale for measuring
- Parchment paper
- Bench scraper for shaping the dough
- Lame or sharp knife for scoring the bread
- Oven gloves for easily removing the bread from the oven (optional)
We hope you’ll try out our method for how to bake bread in a Dutch oven: let us know if you try it and what you think! Let us know @acouplecooks or in the comments below.
Looking for more Dutch oven recipes?
If you love baking bread in a Dutch oven, here are a few more recipes for your Dutch oven:
This recipe is…
This artisan Dutch oven bread is vegetarian.
- 200 grams all purpose flour (1 1/3 cups)
- 200 grams bread flour (1 1/3 cups)
- 80 grams whole wheat flour (1/2 cup)
- 11 grams kosher salt (1/2 tablespoon)
- 6 grams instant yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 325 grams purified water, room temperature (1 1/3 cups)
- 50 grams Greek yogurt (1/4 cup)
- Mix the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook, combine the flours, kosher salt, and yeast. Stir lightly with the dough hook to combine. Add the water and Greek yogurt and stir again until just combined. (Note: You need a stand mixer for this recipe as kneading by hand would be too sticky.)
- Proof the dough: Place bowl and dough hook on stand mixer and knead for 8 minutes on low speed. After mixing, transfer the dough to a small bowl. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place (we use an 80° proofing oven) until doubled in size — 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
- Preheat the Dutch oven: When the dough has risen, place a Dutch oven in the oven and preheat to 475°F. Prepare a piece of parchment paper about 8 inches wide by 12 inches long.
- Shape the dough (watch the video instructions!): Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured counter; the dough should be formed into a gently rounded shape. Rub just enough flour onto the top of the dough so that it isn’t tacky. Use the bench scraper to flip the dough so that the floured side is down. Gently stretch the dough into a rectangle. Moving quickly, fold the top third of the dough down, and the bottom third up to create a packet. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and gently roll it into a log shape. Be careful to not press the dough or deflate it. Use your hands to gently pull the dough tight and pinch off the seams at the end of the dough. Carefully transfer the dough to the parchment paper and allow to rest uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Bake the bread: After the dough has rested, use a lame or sharp knife to cut a shallow slit at angle across the top of the dough. As quickly as possible, using a hot pad remove the lid from the Dutch oven and carefully place the parchment paper with dough into the Dutch oven. Cover it and set the timer for 17 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temp and continue baking: After 17 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. With a hot pad remove the Dutch oven, carefully take out the bread. and set the bread directly onto the oven rack. Bake for an additional 23 minutes.
- Cool the bread: Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool on a cooling rack for at least 45 minutes. After cooling, the bread is ready to eat. Store the bread wrapped in cloth or in a bread bag on the counter for up to 2 days, or freeze it wrapped in foil in a plastic bag for several months.
Keywords: Dutch oven bread, Artisan bread dutch oven, Baking bread in dutch oven, How to bake bread in a dutch oven, Greek yogurt bread recipe